Ad spending increased year-over-year for social, paid search and ecommerce; mobile continues to dominate.
Kenshoo (https://kenshoo.com/), a global leader in marketing technology, today released The Kenshoo Q3 2019 Quarterly Trends Report, and accompanying infographic, detailing Q3 spending growth in social (32%), paid search (7%) and Ecommerce Channel Ads (ECA) (54%) on a year-over-year (YoY) basis. As the only marketing solution that provides data-driven insights and optimization technology to help make informed decisions and scale performance across all major publishers, Kenshoo identifies the trends shaping each stage of the consumer journey, including:
- For Ecommerce, targeted promotions in July garnered almost as much ad spending as November of last year on a same-advertiser basis
- Product ads remain a critical tool for Kenshoo advertisers in the ecommerce vertical, accounting for 39% of Q3 search spending and 37% of Q3 social spending
- Advertisers that devoted less budget to direct response (DR) objectives spent more on Instagram in Q3; those who spent no money on DR spent 20% of social budgets on Instagram, while those who spent their full budget on DR allocated only 7% to Instagram
- Over the last six months, Pinterest spending per month has increased nearly 30%
- Mobile ads continued to dominate, accounting for 88% of social spending and 54% of search spending in Q3
Detailed findings on social and paid search performance include:
- Social spending increased 32% YoY and 4% quarter-over-quarter (QoQ)
- Social impressions increased 36% YoY and 9% QoQ
- Social clicks increased 4% YoY and 26% QoQ
- Social cost-per-thousand (CPM) impressions decreased 3% YoY and 4% QoQ
- Paid search spending increased 7% YoY and 2% QoQ
- Paid search impressions increased 29% YoY and 5% QoQ
- Paid search clicks increased 15% YoY and 3% QoQ
- Paid search CPC decreased 7% YoY and 1% QoQ
“As has traditionally been the case, Q3 served as the quiet before the holiday storm for social, paid search and ecommerce advertisers,” said Chris Costello, senior director of marketing research for Kenshoo. “That said, all three grew year-over-year as advertisers laid the foundation for the heavy Q4 push. Instagram, video and product ads remained the social darlings, serving as key drivers for growth in the channel, while shopping campaigns and mobile keywords once again drove paid search growth. For ecommerce advertisers, one big two-day sale in July drove overall spending for the month to levels just shy of last November, which sets the table for another new high going into the holidays.”
From exploring in search, to sharing in social and shopping in ecommerce, Kenshoo connects advertiser messages directly with consumers. With machine learning intelligence to drive unparalleled performance, Kenshoo integrates directly with more social, search and ecommerce platforms than any other marketing solution.
Visit https://kenshoo.com/insights/the-kenshoo-q3-2019-quarterly-trends-report/ to download the full report or Kenshoo.com/Digital-Marketing-Snapshot to view the infographic.
Except where noted, analysis is based on Kenshoo advertisers with 15 consecutive months of performance data taken from a population of over 3,000 advertiser and agency accounts across 40 vertical industries and over 150 countries, spanning Google, Microsoft, Baidu, Yandex, Yahoo! Japan, Verizon Media, Amazon, Apple Search Ads, Pinterest, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and the Facebook Audience Network. Some outliers have been excluded. The resulting sample includes more than 500 billion impressions, 13 billion clicks and $5.5 billion (USD) in advertiser spending.
Ad spending and CPC are measured using Ex-FX or “Constant Currency” adjustments, where results are based on native currency, and only translated to common currency after aggregation.
Kenshoo is the leading technology platform for brands looking to plan, activate and amplify effective marketing across the most-engaging digital channels. Kenshoo offers the only marketing solution that provides data-driven insights and optimization technology to help make informed decisions and scale performance across Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Pinterest, Snapchat, Instagram, Amazon, Apple Search Ads, Verizon Media, Yandex, Yahoo Japan, and Baidu. Kenshoo’s machine-learning algorithms and cutting-edge AI enable companies to predict and keep in-step with the ever-changing consumer journey. With 27 international locations and backed by Sequoia Capital, Arts Alliance, Tenaya Capital, and Bain Capital Ventures, Kenshoo generates over $350 billion in annualized revenue for the world’s top brands. Please visit Kenshoo.com for more information.
Kenshoo brand and product names are trademarks of Kenshoo Ltd. Other company and brand names may be trademarks of their respective owners.